Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attack
This is a conversion of a simple game that I wrote using RCBasic several years back.

The concept is simple. Shoot the small animated ufo. Reach 100 points. Two asteroids serve as obstacles. A small moving barrier will appear as the score reaches a certain level. The ufo will now shoot back. A larger and faster barrier will replace the smaller one at a particular score level. Shooting the barriers will reduce your score.

Shooting the ufo and asteroids may effect their speed and direction.

.zip   attack.zip (Size: 372.89 KB / Downloads: 6)

Note: The game works. It may contain "random features" (bugs) and the coding is not very efficient. This was a exercise in conversion and animation. Any and all constructive criticism or advise is, as always, appreciated.

J
May your journey be free of incident.
Live long and prosper.
(06-23-2022, 08:31 AM)johnno1956 Wrote: This is a conversion of a simple game that I wrote using RCBasic several years back.

The concept is simple. Shoot the small animated ufo. Reach 100 points. Two asteroids serve as obstacles. A small moving barrier will appear as the score reaches a certain level. The ufo will now shoot back. A larger and faster barrier will replace the smaller one at a particular score level. Shooting the barriers will reduce your score.

Shooting the ufo and asteroids may effect their speed and direction.

Note: The game works. It may contain "random features" (bugs) and the coding is not very efficient. This was a exercise in conversion and animation. Any and all constructive criticism or advise is, as always, appreciated.

J
Thanks Johnno, some nice ideas and features in this. Difficulty is quite high from the start (for me), but persistence does pay off.

Couple of issues though:

- the game wouldn't run initially, due to line 664 which references an audio file (bgMusic) which has not been loaded or declared, as far as I can see. Commenting out this line resolved this, and the game then ran fine.

- after completing the game (unsucessfully), it will return to the first menu. However, if you then start  a new game from the menu, you will immediately lose. I would think that this would be resolved if you reset various variables, and positions of enemy craft etc..

The only other thing I did, and this may just be personal preference, was to add a line 644 "set color 255,255,255" (after "cls"). This made the colours, particularly the player's spacecraft, lighter and more vibrant.

Fun game, keep up the good work.......
Nice work.
KCFB,

I just re-ran the game and deliberately quit, so as to test the menu glitch, and it worked fine... Located the "bgMusic" problem... forgot to remove the "stop music"... lol  I have left comments as to where the music references should be located... should anyone want to add music... lol  Added the 'set color 255,255,255' to the 'updatePlayer' routine.

The one thing that I did not check was restarting after being destroyed...  This seems to be the source of my problem... Now... Where did I put that comb?

I really need to develop better coding skills... So embarrassing... *sigh*

J

ps: I will post an updated "n7" file once I have corrected the fault.
Live long and prosper.
Update:

Well... I have discovered a disturbing pattern...

I decided to "go back to the source". Both versions of the original RCBasic games have the same problem.

Therefore, I can conclude, my conversion was a complete success...

I managed to convert everything... including the 'restart after destruction' glitch...

My conversion was based on the first RC version...

Here is another kicker... The second RC version had a Gimp-created splash screen; An animated menu; The asteroid obstacles would slowly rotate as they moved across the screen; Oh. It also had a pause function...

My apologies for "putting the horse before the cart". Not only was this an exercise in conversion but also an exercise in how not to convert. "Attack" will be taken off the drawing board... for now...
Live long and prosper.
(06-23-2022, 08:57 PM)johnno1956 Wrote: Update:

Well... I have discovered a disturbing pattern...

I decided to "go back to the source". Both versions of the original RCBasic games have the same problem.

Therefore, I can conclude, my conversion was a complete success...

I managed to convert everything... including the 'restart after destruction' glitch...

My conversion was based on the first RC version...

Here is another kicker... The second RC version had a Gimp-created splash screen; An animated menu; The asteroid obstacles would slowly rotate as they moved across the screen; Oh. It also had a pause function...

My apologies for "putting the horse before the cart". Not only was this an exercise in conversion but also an exercise in how not to convert. "Attack" will be taken off the drawing board... for now...
As "hobby" coders, I think that it is inevitable that we will have bugs/glitches/inefficiencies in the code that we write. It is very hard to test for every scenario in a game, so it can be really useful to have a friendly forum available to help with the testing of code. When I find problems in code that I have written, while it can be incredibly frustrating trying to fix it, it is also so satisfying if I can eventually fix it.
I would imagine that more professional coders would be appalled at some of the code that we write, but as long as we are enjoying it, surely that is the main thing that any of us want from a hobby?