Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do game makers get started?
Huiwai
Quote:  Nowadays there are many tools for amateur people(like me)  to make games without programming knowledige. For example, 001 Game Creator, Construct 3, Clickteam Fusion, GameMaker Studio, GameSalad, Stencyl, GDevelop, RPG Maker, etc. Many  indie commercial games were made with these game creation softwares. 

Hi Huiwai, 

You did not mention Scratch which is one I know, have you tried that? or is that not considered game making tools?

Of the ones you mentioned (or not) which would you recommend for starters?
b = b + geberation
I can't stand such tools. Too many buttons, menus and sliders give me anxiety attacks. That's why I rather write my own tools than use existing ones. Yes, my tools have lots of widgets too, but atleast I know what those do Smile
(09-13-2018, 03:30 PM)Marcus Wrote: I can't stand such tools. Too many buttons, menus and sliders give me anxiety attacks. That's why I rather write my own tools than use existing ones. Yes, my tools have lots of widgets too, but atleast I know what those do Smile

Ha! That's why I choose Basic programming over Spreadsheet and Database programs! (Though I did learn them later for industrial sized projects.)
b = b + geberation
(09-13-2018, 03:30 PM)Marcus Wrote: I can't stand such tools. Too many buttons, menus and sliders give me anxiety attacks. That's why I rather write my own tools than use

existing ones. Yes, my tools have lots of widgets too, but atleast I know what those do Smile

Hi, NaaLaa is nice. 

Now NaaLaa needs more users.

(09-12-2018, 07:11 PM)bplus Wrote: Huiwai
Quote:  Nowadays there are many tools for amateur people(like me)  to make games without programming knowledige. For example, 001 Game Creator, Construct 3, Clickteam Fusion, GameMaker Studio, GameSalad, Stencyl, GDevelop, RPG Maker, etc. Many  indie commercial games were made with these game creation softwares. 

Hi Huiwai, 

You did not mention Scratch which is one I know, have you tried that? or is that not considered game making tools?

Of the ones you mentioned (or not) which would you recommend for starters?

Hello, Scratch is good for learning but is not suitable for making professional game. 

All the softwares on the list should be easy enough for beginners to use. The softwares on the list are not freewares but there are trial    versions or demo versions on their websites.

I tried several softwares on the list and bought Clickteam Fusion and GameMaker Studio.

For we Linux users there is 'LateralGM' (Enigma-dev.org Windows, Linux and Mac - Free) (can load, edit and execute Game Maker files - 8.1 is ok not sure about Studio). I use scratch for prototyping or throwing something together for the grandkids. Completely under-powered and useless for commercial use, but still fun to play with... Great list!
(09-13-2018, 10:28 PM)johnno56 Wrote: ... Great list!

Hi, (also to bplus)

I made a mistake. All the softwares on the list are commercial softwares except GDevelop. I have checked their official website. GDevelop is a free open-source game creation software with MAC, Windows and Linux versions. Maybe some beginners will be more interested in it. I find this introduction video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuiIgqtr-w