Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run external commands
Hi, I'm new to NaaLaa. I like it alot...

So my question is:

Is there any way to run external programs or shell commands from within NaaLaa?

The program I'm working on would benefit greatly from that capability.
There are 2 NaaLaa commands that try to do this, but I have tried to use them and can't get anywhere.

The commands are " System" and " Shell Execute.

It seems that the more I use them, the less they do . I get this feeling that there is a mysterious hacker somewhere
that is trying to control the world's computers. I hope that some day someone creates a user friendly computer, so
that I can have my hobby back.
It seems that the more I use them, the less they do . I get this feeling that there is a mysterious hacker somewhere
that is trying to control the world's computers. I hope that some day someone creates a user friendly computer, so

ha ha ...nice thinking Rick
I have same feeling sometimes....
(06-12-2019, 03:43 PM)Rick3137 Wrote: There are 2 NaaLaa commands that try to do this, but I have tried to use them and can't get anywhere.

LOL. I found out about system early this morning when I got my linux back up and running.
Last night before I posted this, I only knew about 'run'. It would give me errors when I tried to run an external program or shell command.
I want to create a shell/program launcher, so I need to be able to execute things externally, otherwise there would be no point.
Before I saw this response, I was about to write a qb64 program that would encapsulate the naalaa program, intercept a text string from the encapsulated NaaLaa program, run it through a SELECT CASE block with a long list of selector strings, to perform a 'SHELL _DONTWAIT' command (running the desired program/shell script/ external command/etc.). that probably would have done it, but It would have been way sloppier than just using NaaLaa itself.

Thanks for letting me know, saved me a bunch of 2 language nonsense.  Big Grin
(06-12-2019, 10:18 PM)Keybong Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 03:43 PM)Rick3137 Wrote: There are 2 NaaLaa commands that try to do this, but I have tried to use them and can't get anywhere.

LOL. I found out about system early this morning when I got my linux back up and running.
Last night before I posted this, I only knew about 'run'. It would give me errors when I tried to run an external program or shell command.
I want to create a shell/program launcher, so I need to be able to execute things externally, otherwise there would be no point.
Before I saw this response, I was about to write a qb64 program that would encapsulate the naalaa program, intercept a text string from the encapsulated NaaLaa program, run it through a SELECT CASE block with a long list of selector strings, to perform a 'SHELL _DONTWAIT' command (running the desired program/shell script/ external command/etc.). that probably would have done it, but It would have been way sloppier than just using NaaLaa itself.

Thanks for letting me know, saved me a bunch of 2 language nonsense.  Big Grin

Well it turns out that I couldnt get Shell Execute to work... and system actually opened up the program twice, along with a command prompt window. lol