Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hidden Gem!
This program deserves a wider recognition! Can you please add some more tutorials and an more in depth documentation? It has the simplicity of Blitz+ and runs perfectly on a modern machine with Windows 10.
What I really like about NaaLaa is the fact that it's a tailor-made software. Almost everything was build from scratch by its author. The fact that it runs on Linux without any dependencies is pretty impressive. Myself, I'm not a game coder (I tried once or two and totally failed Smile ) and had a break from coding and online activity recently, but this new Linux version of NaaLaa is definitely gonna stay on all my Linux machines. After playing with languages like Lisp, Perl or Go, it reminds me that coding can simply be fun. Wink
I'll try and write some step-by-step games that might be of help. Just tell me if you're looking for something specific Smile
(02-07-2018, 06:53 AM)Marcus Wrote: I'll try and write some step-by-step games that might be of help. Just tell me if you're looking for something specific Smile

This one is old but it should be good to start.

Attached Files
.zip   NaaLaa Beginners Game Programming.zip (Size: 452.4 KB / Downloads: 11)
Maybe a Tetris or Space Invaders example or even an Adventure 2600 one....
(02-07-2018, 10:52 AM)makis Wrote: Maybe a Tetris or Space Invaders example or even an Adventure 2600 one....

Sounds good Smile  I'll post a Tetris or Space Invader tutorial this weekend. There's one or two space invader:ish games among the examples, but they're probably not well documented. I love Gargoyle Attack by John Smile

Even if you're on Windows, there are some new examples to be found in the Linux tar.gz file (simple_games folder, I think).
(02-07-2018, 06:27 PM)Marcus Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 10:52 AM)makis Wrote: Maybe a Tetris or Space Invaders example or even an Adventure 2600 one....

Sounds good Smile  I'll post a Tetris or Space Invader tutorial this weekend. There's one or two space invader:ish games among the examples, but they're probably not well documented. I love Gargoyle Attack by John Smile

Even if you're on Windows, there are some new examples to be found in the Linux tar.gz file (simple_games folder, I think).

I seem to remember using a tutorial for "Tiny Space Invaders" and "Tiny Breakout"" written by you when I first started using NaaLaa years ago, and found them really useful and the code was very well documented. I think they may have been for NaaLaa 5 though .....