Poll: Can NaaLaa Be Used to Make a Roguelike?
This poll is closed.
Yes
100.00%
1 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings and Salutations!
Wink 
Hello! I am Gloomshroud. Smile It is a pleasure to make your acquaintances.

At any rate, I downloaded this wonderful resource last night and have been happily playing with it ever since (I have not slept). I've been poking around with the examples, and NaaLaa seems quite a capable little language, despite its compactness!

I was wondering if any of ye with more experience might tell me if they believed this language might be suitable for developing a game in my own personal favorite genre: Roguelike!

I am talking REAL roguelikes, btw, not some of the more modern notions (rogue-LITES, moderate permadeath, etc). Angband, ADOM, Crawl, Rogue, etc! I love ASCII, and I love tiles! So the graphics are negotiable, though I am fond of my little "@".

There are plenty of windowing features, the font features are complete, and the language appears nimble enough to handle it all very quickly and efficiently should I choose to employ BSP procedural generation or Dijkstra pathfinding, for example. (This also begs the question as to whether or not some of the algorithmic leg work has already been done).

All that being said, I trust the opinions of the veterans and would love some insight, as it is trying to do roguelikes that brought me here in the first place. (That's an interesting story, I was looking at Richard Clark's website for his FreeBasic roguelike tutorial when I found he had done quite a bit of NaaLaa stuff, and then one thing led to another and here I am!).

I also know the language has a ton of libraries available (seeing GLOOM in action made me want to consider a FPRL) which ease and facilitate the programmer's task! That's awesome, but there is quite a bit and I'm sure I'm not seeing all there is to see, so insight is highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, kind users.
Hi and welcome!

I know very little about making rougelikes. But I love playing the modern 3D ones, like Ziggurat and Immortal Redneck Smile  I even attempted making one with the gloom library:

http://www.naalaa.com/community/showthread.php?tid=54

But I didn't get that far and now it's put on ice, since I have no Windows-computer (I need that for rendering 3D sprites).

I don't see any reasons for why one couldn't make a traditional rougelike in naalaa. There used to be a guy on basicprogramming.org who was REALLY into these kind of games and wrote tutorials about it.
(07-18-2018, 03:19 PM)Marcus Wrote: Hi and welcome!

I know very little about making rougelikes. But I love playing the modern 3D ones, like Ziggurat and Immortal Redneck Smile  I even attempted making one with the gloom library:

http://www.naalaa.com/community/showthread.php?tid=54

But I didn't get that far and now it's put on ice, since I have no Windows-computer (I need that for rendering 3D sprites).

I don't see any reasons for why one couldn't make a traditional rougelike in naalaa. There used to be a guy on basicprogramming.org who was REALLY into these kind of games and wrote tutorials about it.

Thanks for the reply! And I already saw, read, and bookmarked that thread for future use! And I wonder if we're thinking about the same guy? RDC, or Richard Clark? He used to be VERY active, but he also used NaaLaa!
Yeah, that's the guy!
Hi Gloomshroud,

I have to confess I did not know what rouguelike is.

In my little bit of research, I learn it has 2 main qualities:
1. random level geberation, ha! that's too funny to correct to "generation"
2. permadeath

Now I have to imagine why these features might be so awesome.

Well #1, is not hard to imagine at all, I try to employ randomness whenever where-ever specially in art. You want to write code that will surprise even it's maker! (I suppose I mean surprised in the pleasant way, we know code has a way of surprising us in many unpleasant ways.)

#2 has me stumped, completely baffled. Who wants to be dead forever?
That's no way to be god like!
b = b + geberation