Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drag-and-drop game tools
Drag-and-drop game tools are so popular in recent years and a lot of beginners start learning game development with this type of tool.

GameMaker Studio is one of the poplular drag-and-drop tools:

12635 items( https://itch.io/games/made-with-gamemaker )

Although drag-and-drop game tools dominate the whole game development world, many people still like to create games in pure languages! Wink

Examples:

Pygame: 551 items( https://itch.io/games/made-with-pygame )
Love2D: 1467 items( https://itch.io/games/made-with-love2d )
Rust: 149 items( https://itch.io/games/made-with-rust )
AppGameKit: 135 items( https://itch.io/games/made-with-appgamekit )
Ah... Pygame and Love2D. I have both installed and tinker with them often... I like the structure of Love2D (3 main functions - Load, update and draw) I have used that structure for other languages and it makes it easier to keep track of stuff. Although Love2D is relatively easy to use (most times... lol) I find Pygame/Python a more superior language. A little more work with coding (for me anyway) but much better for 2D stuff (in my opinion) than Love2D.

Game Maker is an old favourite... GM6 and GM8 run just fine, using Wine, on Linux. I never could get 'studio' to run... GM is easy enough to create games without coding. Very good for novices. For the more experienced, GM scripting, can be used to take full advantage of GM's features. Creating "native" games cost nothing... but, installing the ability to export to other platforms, can cost $...

You are quite correct. Packages that include "drag and drop" are very popular. Not only does it make it easier to create a game but is also a time-saver...

Rust. I have heard of Rust before but have never tried it out. It has been in production since 2010 and is still being developed. Available for many platforms. The Rust mascot - Ferris -a crab- is derived from "rust" itself (Ferric Oxide or Iron Oxide)... herein ends today's trivia... lol

AppGameKit. Certainly looks like a fun application. The "School" version is free but the core "studio" will cost $99. (I have seen similar applications cost more...) As it is intended to be used on Windows, I will have to rely on the "net" and reviews, to get a better understanding...

When developers are creating languages like Naalaa; RCBasic; QB64 etc., that require everything to be coded, it will definitely be a challenge to attract new, younger users when there are so many other languages, with drag and drop, that promise to create more in less time...

As I have said before, It is all about the journey and not the destination... The satisfaction of creating a game from scratch to distribution the good old fashioned way... There is nothing like it...

Thank you for the interesting topic.... Cool...

J
May your journey be free of incident.
Live long and prosper.
The first one I used, on Amiga, was Cando. Then I played around some with SEUCK (Shoot em up construction kit), also Amiga. But actual programming seemed so much more fun, so I went on with Amos and Blitz Basic 2. Nowdays I want absolute control over everything - every single pixel.
I was always impressed by the graphics of the Amiga when it came out in 1985. I settled for an Amstrad CPC464 because we could not afford the $1,300 price tag back then... But, it was still impressive, none the less..

Interesting... A shoot em up construction kit? I do not believe I have seen any of those... Time for some research... lol

Ah... Found it! Very cool... Love the colours!. Would I be correct in assuming that the "kit" was only produced for Commodore?
Live long and prosper.
(05-15-2022, 08:41 AM)johnno1956 Wrote: Ah... Pygame and Love2D. I have both installed and tinker with them often...

You are a real expert of different programming languages.

Quote:Although Love2D is relatively easy to use (most times... lol) I find Pygame/Python a more superior language. A little more work with coding (for me anyway) but much better for 2D stuff (in my opinion) than Love2D.

Very insightful.

Quote:Game Maker is an old favourite...

GameMaker is extremely popular!

Quote:Rust. I have heard of Rust before but have never tried it out. It has been in production since 2010 and is still being developed. Available for many platforms.

Rust is very strange actually. I am still curious because so many finished games are on Itch. Why did these people use Rust to develop games? What is the advantage of Rust?

Quote:AppGameKit. Certainly looks like a fun application.

Looks really fun!

Quote:When developers are creating languages like Naalaa; RCBasic; QB64 etc., that require everything to be coded, it will definitely be a challenge to attract new, younger users

Let them realize that many interesting games were madeĀ  in NaaLaa. This is the real solution.
Oh dear... I said that I have Pygame and Love2D "installed"... I have done a lot of tinkering with tutorials... but, an "expert"?... I think not... But thank you for the compliment...

If you get a chance, have a look at the game examples from N6, and check out what can be done with Naalaa... Very impressive. You can download and install N6 without effecting N7 at all. https://www.naalaa.com/ Open up and run some of the simple and advanced games... N6 has a full suite of tools... N6 Editor, Tilemap and Raycaster editors... Imagination, desire and Time are all we need...

New "converts" will see these and may be just as impressed... Some will investigate further... Some will see the amount of work required and look elsewhere. Some may be inspired by the results so as to endure the work... All we need are "some" to be interested. "Some" will lead to "More"...
Live long and prosper.
I'll see if I can get busy with gloom soon (includes regular wolf3d raycasting). I seem to have lost the sourcecode of the n6 gloom "extension", and I'm not looking forward to rewriting it ...

I wiped and got rid of like a million old computers last spring. Thought I made backups of everything of importance.
I still have N6 installed as well as Gloom. It may not be what you are after, but it is there, if you need it.

I do not possess a 'million' computers, but I am an expert, when it comes to 'losing' software. Do you remember the story about Typhoid Mary? My ability to lose/erase/destroy software would make Mary's problem look like a sniffle.... lol

I had high hopes in doing, what was it that you called it? That is right, a backup... I have a 2TB drive, still in the anti-static bag in which it came, sitting on my shelf... since... November/December 2021... lol High hopes indeed... lol

I found this link to the Amiga port of Gloom source code for windows and Linux. https://github.com/Swizpig/ZGloom
Live long and prosper.

(05-15-2022, 01:19 PM)Marcus Wrote: The first one I used, on Amiga, was Cando. Then I played around some with SEUCK (Shoot em up construction kit), also Amiga. But actual programming seemed so much more fun, so I went on with Amos and Blitz Basic 2.
I heard that Amos and Blitz Basic 2 had been famous in 90s.

Quote:Nowdays I want absolute control over everything - every single pixel.
In addition, you created and continue developing a useful game language.

(05-18-2022, 09:14 AM)johnno1956 Wrote: If you get a chance, have a look at the game examples from N6, and check out what can be done with Naalaa... Very impressive. You can download and install N6 without effecting N7 at all. https://www.naalaa.com/ Open up and run some of the simple and advanced games... N6 has a full suite of tools... N6 Editor, Tilemap and Raycaster editors... Imagination, desire and Time are all we need...
Suddenly, I have a weird idea. There are several very enjoyable games in NaaLaa 6 package. If you rewrite them successfully in NaaLaa 7 and upload to Itch, they will attract potential users to come to join the user community.
Not such a weird idea... I have already converted a couple of the old games... A simple shooter and 1945. These use libraries that N7 has built-in. These were converted to "see if I can"... They ran just fine with only minor modifications... but are they worthy of "itch"? maybe not.. But, once N7 is "fully operational", they could be gathered with other conversions. Currently experimenting with the old Naalaa 'Arkanoid'... (which uses the Tilemap Library) It is starting out fine so far... not a lot of functionality... slow work (for me anyway... lol) Still not sure if it can be completed... it probably can... I am not sure if "I" can complete it successfully... lol But it will be fun trying!
Live long and prosper.