Author Topic: A more modern website  (Read 886 times)

John

• View Profile
A more modern website
« on: August 23, 2014 »
A guy named Tomaaz, active on basicprogramming.org, made us a new homepage http://www.naalaa.com :) I think he used some sort of template. Going to keep it for now, but I'll see what sort of templates my own host (using one.com, cliche and hostinger (the latter one is for this forum ... and probably the cause of every problem you experience here, as they're really low budget)).

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A more modern website
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014 »
Looks nice on my computer but sadly no good on my phone.

One.com does have some good templates that adapts very well to smart phones. I just checked them out.

What I like about Tomaaz's website is that it's all on one page.

.\\\opz

johnno56

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014 »
The site looks nice. Simple, uncluttered and easy to use.

J

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014 »
I think he used some sort of template.

Yep, I used free template called Pageone. You can find it here - http://www.styleshout.com/category-template/one-page/page/2/ . There is so many free, good looking and easy to use templates around that, IMHO, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. ;)

What I like about Tomaaz's website is that it's all on one page.

I like that, too. ;) And I also like the fact that the whole page is client side only, so it works off-line and moving the site to the new server is as simple as copying the files there. No need to worry about a database or links created dynamically by scripts etc.

I've got a very simple phone with basic Internet browser and the site looks very good on it as only graphics added by user are shown as image files, while the rest of it (like navigation button) is converted to text. But, like I said, I have no idea how it scales on smartphones.

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014 »
Glad you found your way in here, Tomaaz  :)  This is where the shit happen! Well atleast some of the shit happen here. Especially on Wednesdays, because then we have pea soup and baked beans for desert.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014 by Marcus »
.\\\opz

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014 »
... and baked beans for desert.

With sausages!? Delicious...  ;D

johnno56

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014 »
Hmmm.  Peas soup; Baked beans and sausages.... an explosive combination... LOL

J

John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014 »
Absolutely no offense to Tomaaz here :)  But I've once again replaced the main NaaLaa webpage. This one works better on mobile phones and it's easier for me to maintain (I'm using a sweet editor provided by my host).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014 by John »

kcfb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014 »
Nice impact screen when you first log on John..... I did like the previous site but its increasingly important to get a site working well on mobiles, and I guess you don't want to spend any more time than necessary maintaining it when there so much fun stuff to do, so I can appreciate why you've changed it....Kevin