Author Topic: NES style platformer  (Read 1089 times)

John

• View Profile
NES style platformer
« on: October 07, 2014 »
I don't know where this is heading, but so far it contains bombs, magic sneakers and tutorial dialogs that will annoy the heck out of you. And it has very realistic water rendering.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014 by John »

johnno56

Re: NES style platformer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014 »
Very cool. Brings back memories. Love the old 8 bit feel.

J

John

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014 »
Very cool. Brings back memories. Love the old 8 bit feel.

J

Thanks. I'll add a couple of items to pick up and use and then create puzzle levels based on those. The fun stops the moment I start making levels, because that's sooo boring.

Rick3137

• May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Programs
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014 »
 Very nice. Makes me want to try out tile maps.
 I'm not sure about those jumping shoes. I finally figured out that I needed to hurry up, but then I needed another pair to see what was at the top of the map.

John

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014 »
Very nice. Makes me want to try out tile maps.
 I'm not sure about those jumping shoes. I finally figured out that I needed to hurry up, but then I needed another pair to see what was at the top of the map.

There's really nothing up there. Not yet. But now the shoes will respawn when their timer runs out. I think all items will have to work like that, so that you can't get stuck on a level.

johnno56

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014 »
Nothing up there? Hey! Spoiler alert! I haven't been able to get up there yet... :(

Ah. Making the map may be tedious, but never boring. The fun is in the creation of the tiles!! Gotta love The Gimp... (shameless plug)

Great job. Love retro.

J

John

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014 »
The fun is in the creation of the tiles!! Gotta love The Gimp... (shameless plug)

That I can agree with. A little.

It's quite fun to create NES style graphics. I don't follow the rules of the NES hardware that much, but no sprite or tile uses more than 3 colors, and no more than 13 colors are used in total. I do however pick freely from the total of 64 available NES colors (have you got that palette installed?), while in reality there were limitations regarding that too (like a couple of different smaller palettes or something). My point is that the limitations make it both easier and more fun to draw.

Already in a game like Whack the Mervins, that still uses a limited palette and big *ss pixels, drawing gets boring quickly.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014 by John »

John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014 »
Posting nothing interesting now, really. But now I have added the puzzle elements that I think will do for a couple of levels ahead. There are bombs that you can blow up certain bricks with, rocks that you can throw, moving conveyor belts whose direction you can change with a lever, jumping sneakers and jewels to pick up. All items respawn when you run out of them. All that's missing are some different enemy types that can be used to ... throw rocks at. Yeah, let's throw rocks at really cute and furry things.

(Marcus  I stole the rock throwing code from Juan Hakholt ... and used your player sprite as a template for mine. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014 by John »

johnno56

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014 »
Great game! A game I can actually get through without dying! Bonus! Now you are going to tell me that you will be creating some 'bad guys', right? Perhaps the AI can be modified for each level. First level: they attack when you get 'near' them. Next Level: they attack 'on sight'. In either case, I know I will get smooshed...

Good job. Looking forward to the next stage...

J

Rick3137

• May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Programs
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014 »
 So far, so good. I actually got all the gems.

johnno56

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014 »
Here's a question you probably were not expecting....

How do you "port" a game? (If this question requires a huge answer, you can just pm me, if you wish)

J

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014 »
I believe porting is quite a big topic.

We had a game engine at work that we used for PC games many years ago. When we wanted to start making games for iOS I had to rewrite the core of the engine to work with iOS. It was hell. But then we could continue to use the same game code. We could even develop the games on Windows and then just copy the code to a Mac, compile it and deploy to an iDevice. Some years after that, we wanted to start making games for Android. Then I had to port the engine again, but as before, we could still use the same game code.

Well, that's all the porting I've done. And it was about porting something at a pretty low level while not changing anything on the higher level.

Oh, I've ported naalaa from Windows to Linux twice too. That was very easy, because I just had to change the "windowing system". All naalaa needs for running is a way to display its back buffer (a big pixel array) in a window and to get some keyboard and mouse input from the window. Both times I used FreeGLUT as a windowing system on Linux. Sadly, displaying the back buffer was really slow on some systems, so I sort of gave it up. Maybe there's a good alternative to FreeGLUT somewhere?

I assume porting code from one programming language to another is a completely different task.

.\\\opz

johnno56

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014 »
Thanks for that, Marcus.

Sounds quite involved and obviously beyond my skill set (is that the right phrase?) but I am glad that at least someone knows how to do it...

My biggest difficulty is converting old spaghetti basic with the gosub's and goto's and those blasted line numbers. Actually, the line numbers aren't so bad and the 'gosubs' can be converted to procedures, it's those mongrel 'goto's. I would start converting the code, then come across an 'if...then' condition that contains a 'goto' that never returns, and I basically chuck it in and try another game. I'm running out of hair. I am not all that gifted when it comes to creating a game from an original idea... I know. Another 'can of worms'. One of mt biggest annoyances is finding a coding language that 'feels' comfortable and finding that documentation is quite bare. For example: I am used to looking up a command, reading the explanation, seeing how it is used, and trying out an included snippet of code. Sorry. I'm getting off track... my bad for ranting.. I need coffee.

Again, thank you for replying.

J

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014 »
I don't think I ever tried a language that used line numbers. And if I did, I never used the numbers. I don't even remember the name of the first programming language I used. The computer was something called COMPIS (which means "friend" in Swedish (actually spelled "kompis")), described shortly here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compis  ... And looking at that page I see that the name of the programming language was COMAL, which was BASIC like ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMAL ... and , what'ya see, it did have line numbers.

Ehr ... I was going to say something, but then I lost myself in those articles.

Ah, yes, you can use something goto-like in naalaa, but I don't recommend it.

Code: [Select]
a = 4

if a = 4
JMP AIsFour
else
JMP AIsSomethingElse
endif

@EndOfTheProgram
wait keydown
end

@AIsFour
wln "A is four."
JMP EndOfTheProgram

@AIsSomethingElse
wln "A is something else."
JMP EndOfTheProgram
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014 by John »
.\\\opz

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014 »
Tempting :D http://www.josvisser.nl/opencomal/

Wow, and a site dedicated to COMPIS: https://sites.google.com/site/compisinfo/

Look at how much fun they're having! I want a COMPIS too!

(Sorry for hijacking the thread ;) )
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014 by Marcus »
.\\\opz