Author Topic: TD (the library and editor used for Robowack 2)  (Read 3302 times)

johnno56

Re: TD (the library and editor used for Robowack 2)
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014 »
Yes. I've worked with Blender in the past. It's a very good program, but has a steep learning curve. As a noob-modeller, I too found it, a bit overwhelming. A bit like a learner driver with the keys for a semi-trailer.

You do realize, that once your creation is finished, we of the noob realm will want to know how you did it?.... (can you just sense in the air that a step-by-step-tutorial request is coming? ... and yes, I am aware that you guys may have family, time and work expectations, but just knowing that a tutorial is being made, will give we poor mortals, hope.... lol)

J

X54321

• I make games and cartoons. And stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Bitendo Software
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014 »
Ah, yes, I am very familiar with Blender. Memorized a bunch of hotkeys and crap. It doesn't export md2, though, and for that I use this program called Milkshape3D.
It's not free, but it works. Most of the time. It does have limitations, though, like you have to select faces in the 2d viewports unless you're using some kind of plugin.
-The Tophat Demon

johnno56

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014 »
I've searched for "free" 3D modelling software, and have not as yet, found any that will export to md2. When using Blender, at one time, I came across the same problem. I then searched for an application that would convert either obj, blender etc to md2. I remember being able to but it would not carry the texture over to md2. There was a procedure but, for me as a noob, found it too complex and gave up.

I hesitate in buying an application that would do the job, mainly because, I don't know enough of or how to use modelling software enough to warrant the expense.

I think I am going to leave the modelling to you guys. *sigh*

J

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014 »
Hoping that me and John can make a new tutorial video this weekend. Then we'll show you how bad my modeling tool is ;)
.\\\opz

johnno56

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014 »
Bad? Based on what I have seen and my almost non existent modelling skills, your 'bad' has to be way better than my best... *sigh*

J

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014 »
I've searched for "free" 3D modelling software, and have not as yet, found any that will export to md2. When using Blender, at one time, I came across the same problem. I then searched for an application that would convert either obj, blender etc to md2. I remember being able to but it would not carry the texture over to md2. There was a procedure but, for me as a noob, found it too complex and gave up.

I hesitate in buying an application that would do the job, mainly because, I don't know enough of or how to use modelling software enough to warrant the expense.

I think I am going to leave the modelling to you guys. *sigh*

J

The thing with an md2 model is that it can only have one texture, right? If you can make a model using just one texture, the conversion should be doable. When i make models with my own software I have to save the key frames as different files, convert them one by one to md2 using a small naalas program and then use another naalaa program to merge the separate md2 files. That's quite an annoying procedure :)

Edit: I have since long lost the sourcecode for my program, else I would have modified it to support md2 directly :(

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014 by Marcus »
.\\\opz

X54321

• I make games and cartoons. And stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Bitendo Software
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014 »

Well, Milkshape3D DOES have a demo.
But yeah, 3d modelling is a whole other level than pixel art. There's all sorts of tutorials on youtube, though!
-The Tophat Demon

johnno56

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014 »
Demo may be the way to go. I don't know about "Milk", but a lot of demos, will allow you to create but not output. (Print or export) And those that do, usually have a "watermark". I will try the demo. I'm not too sure if I can get it to run on Linux via Wine, but I'll give it a shot, and let you know.

Maybe a project "down the track" could be a basic modeller specifically for N6 made with N6? Just like the Raycaster and Map Editor etc... ;)

J

johnno56

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014 »
"Milk" would install but was not able to run. Too many DLL's either incompatible or missing. Next.

J

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014 »
Maybe a project "down the track" could be a basic modeller specifically for N6 made with N6? Just like the Raycaster and Map Editor etc... ;)

That is an option, but it would be so time consuming and rather difficult :(

I think I've gone through this list once (remember that Anim8or was simple and pretty easy to use). But maybe it's time to do so again. If a modeller supports simple formats like .obj, I can always write a converter/key-frame-merger-thing for md2.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014 by Marcus »
.\\\opz

johnno56

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014 »
Ah yes. That was the first website I visited. Unfortunately, the Anim8or link on that page, terminated 404 not found. Located Anim8or home page and downloaded. Installation was not necessary. The program ran from a single executable. Imports and exports were limited to obj, 3ds, an8, c and vbx. Looks like it may be simpler to use compared to Blender, but still, no md2. There was a md2 import/export script written for Blender, but that was only for earlier versions... I will continue to search as well as test Anim8or...

J

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014 »
Updated the zip again, just playing around with my pink blob dude. The code gets so messy when a character's got several animation sequences :( I'm not quite sure how to organize it, have tried several different approaches. Maybe something should have been built into the GL extension for this - didn't notice it when doing robowack 2.

Edit  Added a judo-kick / space jump.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014 by Marcus »
.\\\opz

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014 »
I'm building a cabin for my dear blob Pinky. But he says it looks like sh*t  :-[

#BestModelEver

Edit  No you can't just add a static model to your map hoping that TD will take care of the collision handling in the game. You need to setup invisible walls (unused textures) and floors for the collision in the editor.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014 by John »
.\\\opz

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2014 »
I payed for Milkshape 3D today. Didn't try the program before purchasing, but it looks simple enough for me. Hope I get the key soon, looking forward to play with it :)
.\\\opz

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014 »
Maybe it was stupid to pay for milkshape. Still haven't received the key, and noone seems to be there to activate my account on the forum :( Is the project dead? Maybe they should remove the payment possibility if that's the case.
.\\\opz