Author Topic: Chipsk8 (Chip-8 emulator) [WIP]  (Read 935 times)

Asterios

• View Profile
Chipsk8 (Chip-8 emulator) [WIP]
« on: July 20, 2015 »
I dug out the code for it, packed it with IUP and addressed the flickering and speed issues. Compatibility for now is low, with few games playable and several whose title screen is the only thing that shows up. It reads only Chip-8 roms for the moment. I am planning to feature the ability to play Schip and Megachip roms.

You can download games from here:
http://www.chip8.com/?page=109
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015 by Asterios »

kcfb

• View Profile
Re: Chipsk8 (Chip-8 emulator) [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015 »
Hi - I'm getting the attached error when I run the exe?

johnno56

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015 »
me too...

J

johnno56

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015 »
Hey. I just remembered. The Dream 6800 was my very first "kit" computer. It was chip8... That must have been back in about 1980...

Yes. Small circuit board; Hex keypad; Power supply and it actually had a 300 baud cassette interface. It took me about 30-45 minutes to key in a simple pong game. I squinted at the tiny font of the listing. There was no editor. If a mistake was made, it had to be re-entered from the beginning. It finally worked, bug free, on my third attempt. I was sure glad that I had a cassette recorder.... ah, the memories; the eye strain and the sore fingers....

J

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98357680/d6800.pdf
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015 by johnno56 »

Asterios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015 »
Strangely enough, I have tested through the whole rom library without ever encountering that error. Even the stress test of 10 minutes didn`t produce it. Anyway, as I couldn`t faithfully reproduce it, I have amended the places where the code accessed that guilty array. There shouldn`t be a problem now, as it went through the library and the stress test without problems.

kcfb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015 »
Thanks vm....it runs fine here now....I look forward to trying it over the weekend......

Asterios

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015 »
Nice to hear that it worked. I will try to add Schip compatibility over the weekend.

Asterios

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015 »
The emulator now supports Schip, with a 70% compatibility. Chip8 compatibility has increased to 85%.