Author Topic: Concerned...  (Read 1391 times)

johnno56

Concerned...
« on: March 27, 2016 »
I login at least once a day to check for new postings. Over the last several months, with the exception of a couple of times, new postings have been basically non-existent. Should I be concerned in regards to the future of this site?

Einstein once said that, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result."

J

Peter

Re: Concerned...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016 »
Einstein wasn't very intelligence, he was a mathematical zombie.
What he said was frenzy.  >:D

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016 »
I login at least once a day to check for new postings. Over the last several months, with the exception of a couple of times, new postings have been basically non-existent. Should I be concerned in regards to the future of this site?

Of course, you should. Considering the fact that NaaLaa has been abandoned, the most optimistic scenario is what you see now - a forum with no activity. It's also possible that, one day, this site will simply vanish the same way BP.org has. Don't get me wrong. I don't blame anyone. Starting a project doesn't automatically mean signing lifetime agreement for developing it. It's OK that Marcus and John have decided to "retire", but I don't think I won't be interested in projects like that  in the future. Look what's happened to EGSL. It was really nice project, but then its author, instead of focusing on it, started to create thing after thing. EGSL was good. I kinda liked Clscript. CMlua was, lets say, OK. Pulsar2d doesn't come with any form of useful documentation and I can't see any advantages over EGSL that would justify abandoned the latter. AllegroBasic is simpy a piece of crap. Now there is a plan to swap Allegro for SDL. Really? As I said, I can understand that for the author it's exciting and challenging, but from user's perspective it's only a waste of time and energy, as, instead of improving, things are getting worse (compare EGSL with AllegroBasic). And some members of the community still are attacking me for drifting towards more popular and serious projects. It's the only sensible thing users can do.

Peter

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016 »
Yes, that is the right sight in this case.
EGSL was really good, and now blankness,quietness.  ???

have a nice day.

johnno56

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016 »
Fascinating. Leaders gone. Site activity almost none existent. Chances are there may not be a N7. A site without leaders is like a ship without a rudder. Sure, the ship remains afloat, but lacks direction and is at the mercy of any current. Eventually, without guidance, the ship will run a ground.

It's too bad actually. I like Naalaa. For me anyway it was reasonably easy to learn. The support was good. The people on the site seem to be good people.

I, however, prefer a site with strong leadership and an active forum that is growing. That is my vision of an ideal site. I do not always find one. That is why I keep looking. Unfortunately I do not see it here at "this" site.

Who ever has 'admin' or 'moderator' rights, please remove my account, this rat is deserting this sinking ship.

You guys have been great. Thank you for your help and support over the years.

Goodbye.

J

aurel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016 »
well i don't visit this place every day..or even every week maybe once a month but i
visit to see is anything new ....however situation is not different on any similar forum
and we must forget times when forums have big activity.,, ::)

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016 »
and we must forget times when forums have big activity.,, ::)

Do you know why? Because it's to many of them. NaaLaa here, EGSL there, Sdlbasic somewhere else... There is also a couple of JRS's forums and your new place. All of them addressed to the same base of users (former BP.org members). The forums that where busy before BP.org has vanished don't have problems with activity. Check the ones for QB64, FreeBasic, PureBasic. Also, who wants to be a member of forums that have been abandoned?

aurel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016 »
AllegroBasic is simpy a piece of crap. Now there is a plan to swap Allegro for SDL. Really? As I said, I can understand that for the author it's exciting and challenging, but from user's perspective it's only a waste of time and energy, as, instead of improving, things are getting worse (compare EGSL with AllegroBasic)

well yes that's true...
cyb simply dont know what he want

Transdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016 »
If he have no time to develop further, at least it would be fine to upload the compiler's sources, maybe someone can continue his work.

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016 »
Sorry guys,

I will try to get back into NaaLaa development (know I've said that a hundred times or so). I have been working on some stuff lately, just posted a small library/extension for realtime image manipulation, and I'm now totally set on an extension for online multiplayer stuff.

John has no time for NaaLaa, and I'm the CTO at a game company, which keeps me very busy and very tired. If I fail once again, with getting back, I will of course publish the sourcecode for NaaLaa.
.\\\opz

Richey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016 »

Of course, you should. Considering the fact that NaaLaa has been abandoned, the most optimistic scenario is what you see now - a forum with no activity. It's also possible that, one day, this site will simply vanish the same way BP.org has. Don't get me wrong. I don't blame anyone. Starting a project doesn't automatically mean signing lifetime agreement for developing it. It's OK that Marcus and John have decided to "retire", but I don't think I won't be interested in projects like that  in the future. Look what's happened to EGSL. It was really nice project, but then its author, instead of focusing on it, started to create thing after thing. EGSL was good. I kinda liked Clscript. CMlua was, lets say, OK. Pulsar2d doesn't come with any form of useful documentation and I can't see any advantages over EGSL that would justify abandoned the latter. AllegroBasic is simpy a piece of crap. Now there is a plan to swap Allegro for SDL. Really? As I said, I can understand that for the author it's exciting and challenging, but from user's perspective it's only a waste of time and energy, as, instead of improving, things are getting worse (compare EGSL with AllegroBasic). And some members of the community still are attacking me for drifting towards more popular and serious projects. It's the only sensible thing users can do.

Glad to see there is some life left in NaaLaa yet.

Well, I will always use my favourite BASICs while they remain developed / available but I have recently gone back to learning C after taking a break; simply because of the huge number of books / tutorials / resources / help that are available out there for learning C on your own.

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016 »
There will always be periods when I don't have the time to work on NaaLaa. I knew such a period was inevitable around relasing version 6 two years ago. But, well, now I'm back and working on some new stuff, extensions, that I hope will make a difference. For me online multiplayer stuff is a bigger thing than anything I've added before, since I really enjoy playing such games myself (mainly Team Fortress 2 on PC and Lost Reavers and Splatoon on the Wii U).  So I will finish that library up by making a cool game that uses it. Then I will do general bug fixes and implement as many suggestions as possible asked for here in the forum. Without any doubt I will then become less active for a while again, but this time I shall do my best to keep the forum alive.

.\\\opz

Rick3137

• May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Programs
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016 »
 :)
Glad to see you back.
I always check at least once a week. It's hard to stay on a dead forum. I tend to drift back and forth between forums and spend more time, when they are alive.

darkhog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016 »
There will always be periods when I don't have the time to work on NaaLaa. I knew such a period was inevitable around relasing version 6 two years ago. But, well, now I'm back and working on some new stuff, extensions, that I hope will make a difference. For me online multiplayer stuff is a bigger thing than anything I've added before, since I really enjoy playing such games myself (mainly Team Fortress 2 on PC and Lost Reavers and Splatoon on the Wii U).  So I will finish that library up by making a cool game that uses it. Then I will do general bug fixes and implement as many suggestions as possible asked for here in the forum. Without any doubt I will then become less active for a while again, but this time I shall do my best to keep the forum alive.

IMO having NaaLaa opensource would help it as it could be still developed in time when you can't do that by other people (all your "development" would be limited to just look through pull requests and accept those that you think are beneficial, which could be done, like, on weekends in hour at most).