Author Topic: Opensourcing NaaLaa?  (Read 621 times)

darkhog

• View Profile
Opensourcing NaaLaa?
« on: June 05, 2016 »
I think this would take much of the work of Marcus or John. Since capable members of the remnants of the community could take over the code and develop it when Marcus or John can't do that for whatever reasons. Also, if NaaLaa goes opensource, when announced on major sites dedicated to tools like it could give (much needed at this point) boost to the community, since this would give bleep of life that NaaLaa is stil alive.

Rick3137

• May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Programs
Re: Opensourcing NaaLaa?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016 »
 Sounds like a good idea to me . On the other hand if Marcus would come back, we could get this thing going again.

cvirus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016 »
He's coming back, even with an update to NaaLaa, god things are comming :-).

darkhog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016 »
True, but as he had said, he can't devote full time to it as he's a CTO at some company (not sure if game or generic software one). So he'd be working on and off on it. Having both compiler and all other modules that are in the standard NaaLaa installation, would greatly speed up development process as other programmers interested in improving it could chip in. Not to mention that if Marcus would decide to go on hiatus again, it wouldn't necessarily mean that NaaLaa will die (again).

cvirus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016 »
I don't know if that is true, look at sdlbasic, it's open source and nobody will pick it to improve it.

darkhog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016 »
Well, you don't know until you try. Also it might be that just because SDL is a shitty library, had to deal with it unfortunately. And I believe there's enough clever people left in community (and opening up NaaLaa along with announcement on some more populated "game basic"-related forums may bring ever more interested people) to take up some slack.

At the very worst, we'd get Linux/Mac community ports (which is preferred to Wine as sometimes Wine updates break things that worked previously).

cvirus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016 »
Agree, but are you talking about SDL or sdlbasic?

darkhog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016 »
SDL