Author Topic: Version 0.9.7 released  (Read 1994 times)

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Version 0.9.7 released
« on: August 10, 2016 »
Release notes from the docs

• Marcus is the main developer of NaaLaa again
  • P2P library added, for online multiplayer games
  • IFX library added, for realtime image manipulation effects
  • ScrollList library added
  • Fixed a bug in NED, where the caret would "randomly" jump up to the top of the current document
  • The ' character now works just like a rem statement
  • New examples from the NaaLaa forum added, by B+, Rick3137 and John Master

--

Except for the P2P and IFX examples (by me), the new examples are some picks from this forum:

Score4 (game) by Rick3137
  Square Elimination (game) by B+
  Jigsaw (game) by John Master
  Rainbow Beat (demo) by B+
  Poly and Poly Again (demo) by B+
  Reoccuring Squares (demo) by B+

Thanks Rick, B+ and John for the programs, I hope it was ok of me to add them to the installation :)

I really wanted to add the Flappy game by B+, but I was unsure about the copyright for the assets in the game. Are the free to use and distribute? If so, I'll add it in the next update.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016 by Marcus »
.\\\opz

Rick3137

• May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Programs
Re: Version 0.9.7 released
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016 »
 Nice work.

cvirus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016 »
Does it have a portable version?

Nice work.

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016 »
Does it have a portable version?

Nice work.

Hard to make a portable version, since there are some DLL files that need to be present in the users system folder. But all the needed files reside in the N6 folder directly under c:\, so you could basicly just grab that folder. The DLL files are all under N6\bin\dll\, only msvcr100.dll and audiere.dll are needed for programs that don't use any of the extensions.
.\\\opz

Cellulo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016 »
Thanks Marcus.

Here a new "naalaa_examples.txt" file to replace the existing one,  tabs and examples are in alphabetical order, i think it's better to search example in this way also remove the parser example because it appear two times in the list.

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016 »
Thanks Marcus.

Here a new "naalaa_examples.txt" file to replace the existing one,  tabs and examples are in alphabetical order, i think it's better to search example in this way also remove the parser example because it appear two times in the list.

Alright, thanks! I'll have a look at the file and update the package if it looks good :)
.\\\opz

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Version 0.9.7 (patch 1) released
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016 »
I uploaded a patch version the other day with some fixes for the P2P extension. Among all, two new functions were added:

• P2P_SendTo - Send message to a specific user instead of all
  • P2P_SendComposedTo - Send complex message to a specific user instead of all
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016 by Marcus »
.\\\opz

cherbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016 »
I uploaded a patch version the other day with some fixes for the P2P extension. Among all, two new functions were added:

• P2P_SendTo - Send message to a specific user instead of all
  • P2P_SendComposedTo - Send complex message to a specific user instead of all

Hi Marcus,

I am very new to Naalaa. I have been looking for years for a simple engine to aid the creation of old school raycasting games. I accidentally (and finally) stumbled upon Naalaa and I am quite excited by it, especially when I found its in active development.

Anyway.. sorry if this is in the wrong place as I couldn't see a dedicated support section? I was playing around with the RC Editor and I kept getting a divide by zero error when using the little preview window to look around at my creation. After the error the RC Editor crashes. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it or if you are aware of the issue.

Is there a way of having a proper skybox in the raycasting engine without resorting to a 2D tiled sky?

NaaLaa looks great and I'm eager to delve deeper.

EDIT: I think I have figured out both issues. The divide by zero I guess is because the engine doesn't like looking into infinity. If I surround the player with walls its fine. The second sky issue I have since found solutions in your various games and demos including mouse support which is awesome!.

I see the game language isn't particularly popular at present. I had never heard of it myself. I really think it needs to get out there more. But maybe if you have a full time job perhaps you don't relish it getting too popular? I do hope you manage to find the time to keep releasing updates as I think its really cool. Shame it doesn't compile to mobile platforms but I guess that won't ever happen.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016 by cherbert »

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016 »
Just a short answer about skyboxes (I'm on lunch), since another guy asked about it recently.

I usually just draw images that represent the field of view somehow. But I admit it doesn't look very good :)  I'll see if I can write a general solution that draws an image "on the inside of a cylinder" instead. It would make the sky/environment look much more realistic. Hopefully I can try it out tonight already.
.\\\opz

cherbert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016 »
Just a short answer about skyboxes (I'm on lunch), since another guy asked about it recently.

I usually just draw images that represent the field of view somehow. But I admit it doesn't look very good :)  I'll see if I can write a general solution that draws an image "on the inside of a cylinder" instead. It would make the sky/environment look much more realistic. Hopefully I can try it out tonight already.

Thats brilliant. Thank you.

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016 »
Thats brilliant. Thank you.

No problem ;)  I posted something in the Code Snippets section. I still haven't tested it in combination with raycasting, but if it works fine I'll add it to the library.
.\\\opz

B+

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016 »
Hey this place is looking alive again!  :)

I want to make clear Flappy was a community effort that started with Johnno56 post in Parallax thread of Code Snippets. It was his assets that started the project and sustained it.

I moved it into projects section when it seemed a more fully developed game after some improved collision detection code was added.

Now, I will check out download of latest update! Thanks

B+

aurel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016 »
Hey Marcus  :)
Everything is fine ..BUT where is downlod link  ???

Marcus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016 »
Hey Marcus  :)
Everything is fine ..BUT where is downlod link  ???

It's somewhere on naalaa.com :3
.\\\opz