Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raycaster
Building a level, walls; floors and ceilings, I can do... but I get a little confused with placing items... I can place item on the ceiling and floors ok. But the "indexes" for the items I am not all that familiar. Do the "item" indexes have to be the same as the image "indexes"?

Would there be a RC PDF squirreled away on some drive per chance?
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
(04-28-2024, 10:08 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Building a level, walls; floors and ceilings, I can do... but I get a little confused with placing items... I can place item on the ceiling and floors ok. But the "indexes" for the items I am not all that familiar. Do the "item" indexes have to be the same as the image "indexes"?

Would there be a RC PDF squirreled away on some drive per chance?

The index is only useful for things that the player can interact with, such as keys and medkits. If you call w3d.Item(ply.x, ply.z) it returns the item index (if any) at the player's position. So if you created a medkit-item for index 1 and add a couple of those on the map, every time the player stands on a medkit tile Item(..) will return 1. Thenyou can give the player som health and use RemoveItem(ply.x, ply.z) to remove the medkit at that position.

For the knight armour (your screenshot), the index is not important. The knight should be marked as an obstacle, so the player wont even be able to stand on that tile.

There is no connection between items and images other than the fact that an item uses an image when it's rendered. So they don't need to be the same.
Cool... I have managed to get most of the "images", blocking and non-blocking, extracted from the sprite sheets, including the collectables... I will have to study the examples to to deal with those... Even using N6's RC Editor to create the maps, it still takes a long time to get everything laid out... Phew! Just think, there were 6 episodes of Wolf3D... Each episode has 10 maps... I am thankful that I am just trying one map...!
Looking forward to adding enemies? Big Grin I think there's a wolfenstein 3d style n6 example with enemies. Both the player and enemies use "hitscan" weapons in that one, meaning that you check for collisions the moment the player or enemy shoot rather than sending away a visible projectile.

Tell me when you get to the enemy programming and I'll help you through it Smile

https://youtu.be/cmZCEgW5Wdc?si=LRhxr6uvuRG0QkHw
(04-29-2024, 07:35 AM)johnno56 Wrote: ... I have managed to get most of the "images",... there were 6 episodes .. Each episode has 10 maps... I am thankful that I am just trying one map...!

I am more than happy, even it has just one map.
Please, hire me as the first tester for your game....it's free, no need to pay me ....

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(04-29-2024, 08:09 AM)1micha.elok Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 07:35 AM)johnno56 Wrote: ... I have managed to get most of the "images",... there were 6 episodes .. Each episode has 10 maps... I am thankful that I am just trying one map...!

I am more than happy, even it has just one map.
Please, hire me as the first tester for your game....it's free, no need to pay me ....

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I think it will be some time before testing is required, but I will remember your request... Wink