Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about old games
Hi Johnno, just to reiterate.....in the example that I posted, the collision detection does not use the pixel() function, but is a simple table lookup.
I would, however, be very interested to see a zone method demonstrated for collision detection....
Granted. Just finished a simple "box terrain" test. It does not use a "ship" per se but uses the mouse instead. It isn't much but could be a start...

.zip   terrainTest.zip (Size: 8.44 KB / Downloads: 3)
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
(03-29-2024, 06:49 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Granted. Just finished a simple "box terrain" test. It does not use a "ship" per se but uses the mouse instead. It isn't much but could be a start...

Nice - I think that this type of landscape could be particularly suited to a moonlander type game (early retro). Perhaps you could even adapt/amend it to include some overhanging terrain, like there was in the png file in your original post?
Another idea I had was either to use the boxes filled or somehow display only the "surface" or upper portion to make a kind of "square-shaped" line across the screen... overhang could work... the sample screens that I have (10 screens) there are at least 2 of them that make up a "cavern"... no reason why the boxes need only be the ground... It has just gone 7:30am and I need to get our weekly groceries... hopefully I will start adding the ship (maybe wire-frame or polygon) with some controls... but first, the shopping... Have a great day!
I do not know what comes before an "alpha" release, but this is it... lol

I settled for using AABB for collision detection... an oldie but goodie...

The game, for want of a better word, will finish quite quickly as this is basically a 'proof of concept'...

Controls are simple... Left and right arrow keys and Up arrow to climb... keep your landing speed (vspeed) at or below 0.5
There are no fuel limits until extra levels are created...

Collision detection works but I am not happy with it... particularly when landing in the wrong place...

At the moment there are no "levels" until I can iron out collision...

.zip   lander.zip (Size: 35.01 KB / Downloads: 4)

All suggested changes and ideas are appreciated...

J
Hi Johnno, I think you have missed the N7 file out of the zip?
When you are right, you are right!

But, think how much more challenging a simple game can be... Moo Ha Ha Ha...

Let us try this dance again. Shall we?

.zip   lander2.zip (Size: 37.04 KB / Downloads: 5)

J
(03-30-2024, 08:25 PM)johnno56 Wrote: When you are right, you are right!

J

Very nice Johnno - particularly love the spaceship and landing craft images. It was very difficult, but managed to land the craft after about a dozen attempts Smile
I did get one error message after half a dozen tries - image attached (I couldn't replicate the error afterwards though).
Look forward to any update.......

Aw man... difficult? I had not planned on 'difficult' until levels are introduced... Ok. I will have to fix that... As to the error... So far I have not experienced that one... but, based on 'my' programming skills (and I use that word very loosely...), chances are it will not be the only error... Hopefully, once I have my head on straight, I can take care of that one as well...

I also had a crazy thought... If I am using "blocks" for the landscape, maybe the landscapes can be made using the Tilemap Editor... Do not see why not... The Tilemap Editor was used to make the breakout game and the ball and paddle moved independent of the map. Lander should be the same except that the landscape tiles will be setup as unbreakable. Also, the editor can take care of any collisions as well... bonus! Now to figure out the "how to's" of the editor... Moo Ha Ha Ha...

I have N6 installed already and I have a hard copy of the Tilemap Editor Instructions for N6. Apparently, the maps made with the N6 editor, should be compatible with N7... worth a shot...

It has gone 10pm here in Melbourne and the old grey matter is turning into mush... I think I will tackle this some more after a nights rest... goon night...

J
(03-30-2024, 08:25 PM)johnno56 Wrote: When you are right, you are right!

J

Do you have any cheat code so that I can land it safely in the first attempt ? .... Big Grin