Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
n7 version 24.04.07 released
I'm taking a break from working on the s3d (simple 3d) library. It's included in this release, and now I want to see if it's possible to make a game using it. It is quite slow now, but I promise you that it will get faster when I implement better ways to do hidden surface removal and optimize all the sloppy code. I wrote some documentation for the library yesterday (S3D.pdf) and there are some examples under n7/examples/s3d_library, but you really need to have some basic knowledge about 3D programming and maybe played around with legacy OpenGL to use this thing. As I mentioned earlier, it's not meant to be a game engine - that comes later.

https://naalaa.com/n7/N7_240407.zip

2024-04-07
  • Added the s3d library
  • Hopefully fixed an issue with the tilemap editor when running through wine
Just now tried the s3d examples. All of the examples, except two, indicated a frame rate between 500 and 1000. The 'heightmap' and 'many cubes', were understandably more taxing and the rate dropped down to between 250 and 333.

Regardless of the slower frame rate, all the examples ran VERY smoothly, in my opinion... lol

I must warn you... I have absolutely zero knowledge of 3D programing... crumbs, I struggle with 2D... lol OH! does this mean there maybe a tutorial in the distant future? lol (a big fan of tutorials - couldn't guess could you? lol)

Very nicely done! Great job!! Thank you!
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
All the 3d examples work very well and the speed is the same as johnno56. Thank you for this new update.

We would have to see where to download graphics to use with 3D, I have never used anything in 3D.
(04-08-2024, 08:42 PM)aliensoldier Wrote: All the 3d examples work very well and the speed is the same as johnno56. Thank you for this new update.

We would have to see where to download graphics to use with 3D, I have never used anything in 3D.

I'm glad the examples run fine for you Smile

It's almost impossible to find models with truely low polygon count. So I make my own models. But I will probably write some tools that you can use to generate simple low poly character models and simpler things.
(04-07-2024, 02:13 PM)Marcus Wrote: I'm taking a break from working on the s3d (simple 3d) library. It's included in this release, and now I want to see if it's possible to make a game using it. It is quite slow now, but I promise you that it will get faster when I implement better ways to do hidden surface removal and optimize all the sloppy code. I wrote some documentation for the library yesterday (S3D.pdf) and there are some examples under n7/examples/s3d_library, but you really need to have some basic knowledge about 3D programming and maybe played around with legacy OpenGL to use this thing. As I mentioned earlier, it's not meant to be a game engine - that comes later.

https://naalaa.com/n7/N7_240407.zip

2024-04-07
  • Added the s3d library
  • Hopefully fixed an issue with the tilemap editor when running through wine

At the moment, I'm still working on 3D Maze with "a spooky / thriller theme" and will be compiled with this new version of N7_2024.04.07 ... and particularly I'm interested in wolf3d and s3d library ...perhaps I might include ex5_adding_mesh_frames.n7 as one of monsters in the gameĀ https://naalaa.com/forum/thread-114-post...tml#pid700

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I'm working quite hard on an engine with an editor suitable for some game types (... first person shooters). I haven't made real 3d games in a long while and my time is very limited. But so far, there's an editor where you can draw maps:

[Image: engine_a_editor.jpg]

It's a sector/portal based thing. The game only renders sectors (rooms) that are visible through the current room's "portals" (purple lines in the image, openings between two rooms) and clips the rendering to the actual portals (all to speed things up). Right now, a map has a single floor position and wall height. But that will change, and sectors will be able to have sub sectors (internal walls and elevated areas and stuff).

Here I'm walking around in the level shown in the picture above.

https://naaalaa.com/tmp/engine_a.mp4
I like how the map editor looks. Smile Heart
(04-13-2024, 06:05 PM)aliensoldier Wrote: I like how the map editor looks. Smile Heart

It's simple, so far. You draw polygons (sectors), and if two sectors share an edge, a portal is created between them. It will probably become a mess when I add all the widgets required to set textures per wall segment, sub sectors and all that. But if it works out as planned you'll be able to create games that look more like doom than wolf3d, and you can use real 3d meshes for sprites, decorations and such.

It takes time and lots of thinking to write these things. So if I'm slow on responding on the forum, you know what I'm busy with Smile
Huge fan of Doom... This looks pretty cool... I am impressed with what you have done so far... Looking forward to future developments... Woo Hoo!
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
(04-13-2024, 08:17 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Huge fan of Doom... This looks pretty cool... I am impressed with what you have done so far... Looking forward to future developments... Woo Hoo!

"Boomer shooter" is my favorite game genre. I don't know if it runs on Linux, but if it does you should try "Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun". It doesn't get any better than that! I finished it ... on the easiest difficulty level Smile It's full 3D but uses 2d sprites for enemies and items, just like Doom (no, not Doom 2016 and its sequel).

Warhammer 40,000 Boltgun review: https://youtu.be/XRiphY5IwTU?si=4AzsgmuCeKF9MQZ1