Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf3D
I'll have a look at that after work.
N6 RC works fine... I am obviously "biting off more than I can chew". I will try to come up with a better idea... lol
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
(04-25-2024, 08:45 AM)johnno56 Wrote: Well... I have started on a complete layout (walls, floor and ceiling) of the first 64x64 tile map for Wolf3D... A slight snag... The N6 Raycaster, can be set to 64x64 tiles, but it will not display them on screen. Oh, they are all there, but the GUI will only show the top 16x16. There is no scrolling or resizing of the GUI. Saving the file does indeed show all 64x64 tiles... that means that if I want to have a map larger than 16x16 then I will have to edit the saved file and insert each tile number manually... That is a whopping 4,096 tiles !!  Admittedly, not all tile position will contain a tile but, occupied or not, each tile position will be rendered... Oh my aching keyboard... Obviously I did not think this one through... lol  Time to rethink...

The version of rc editor that comes with n6 can display large maps with scrollbars. I'm confused.

Are you maybe using some version of the editor that came with the linux version of n6? I don't even remember if I made one ...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here's a new zip with example 1 to 9!

Attached Files
.zip   RaycasterExamplesN7.zip (Size: 43.1 KB / Downloads: 5)
I am indeed using the Linux version. I will download the Win version of N6 and try again...

... and thank you for the examples... Big Grin

Downloaded N6. Wine could not execute an "msi" file. I will try again using my VM...

N6 installed on the VM just fine. The Raycaster has "Scroll Bars"!! Time to party! It has just gone 5:30am and I need to get our morning coffees made. Sorry. Priorities... LOL
(04-25-2024, 05:02 PM)Marcus Wrote: Here's a new zip with example 1 to 9!

Thanks for the final few examples... I was beginning to wonder if I was having to play "dodgems" with those "beach ball" beasties but when I saw "bullets" my hopes were raised!

Very nicely done indeed. It will obviously take some time to go through all that code... but sounds like fun!
Ok. I have hit a "snag".  

My first test was just navigation through the map "map1-1.txt". Consisting of 17 images for walls, floor and ceiling. Ran fine.
My second test (map1-2.txt), same map but with added ceiling lights (not obstacle). Total of 33 images. Also ran fine.
Third map (map1-3.txt) using 52 images failed with an error message.

I am obviously doing something wrong... no surprises there... lol  It is just that, when it threw up an "index" error, that cloud of confusion crept back in...

Just to determine if it is an "image" or "map" issue, I will go back to either map1-1 or map1-2 and load all 52 images without adding any to the map, save and run... If that is successful then I will add few images to the map until it fails... at least then I will know... This could take a while...
Well... Now I am totally confused....

I added all 52 images to the N6 Raycaster file (no items added). Ran fine. No errors.

Added a few decorative obstacles to the map. It ran without errors... but it didn't "look" right. (see attached image)

The room has potted plants. Green "bushy" plants in the four corners (see RC map) and two brown plants either side of the door.

Ran the N7 program and "all" the plants in the room were brown.

I am not explaining it clearly enough. Just run the attached map and see for yourself. All I have done is added item to the map via Raycaster. By the way... the suit of armour is now a chandelier...

I think I will stick with 2D games... I have at least a better understanding on how to fix most of my errors... lol

.zip   map1-2-6.zip (Size: 795.58 KB / Downloads: 10)
(04-29-2024, 10:19 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Well... Now I am totally confused....

I added all 52 images to the N6 Raycaster file (no items added). Ran fine. No errors.

Added a few decorative obstacles to the map. It ran without errors... but it didn't "look" right. (see attached image)

The room has potted plants. Green "bushy" plants in the four corners (see RC map) and two brown plants either side of the door.

Ran the N7 program and "all" the plants in the room were brown.

I am not explaining it clearly enough. Just run the attached map and see for yourself. All I have done is added item to the map via Raycaster. By the way... the suit of armour is now a chandelier...

I think I will stick with 2D games... I have at least a better understanding on how to fix most of my errors... lol

If I open the map in n6 rc editor and look at the spot your screenshot is showing the flowers are brown. And when I adding a ton of sprites in the editor they showed up just as they should when running through the map in n7.

So I'm confused.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I even suspected the graphics themselves... I downloaded sprite sheets (making sure that they were 128x128) and found out, by trial and error, that N6 RC Editor prefers the "colorkey" to be magenta - 255 0 255)... Initially made the images with transparent backgrounds and the RC Edit, in the previewer, displayed with black backgrounds... Re-did all the sprites with magenta... I even suspected the method of running the RC Editor in Win7 via a VM... I have since managed to get the RC Editor to run via Wine... Which reduces the number of processes to create a map... I do not remember having these kinds of problems when using N6's RC Editor quite a few years ago... I have concluded that the problem is not the graphics; it is not N7 as my issues occur prior to importing the map into N7... I am reduced to two possibilities... The N6 RC Editor - which is highly unlikely as there has not been an update in a "dog's age" - or my ability (or inability) t create maps... I may have used this before. Albert Einstein once said, "There are two things that are infinite. The Universe and Human stupidity... and I have my doubts about the Universe". I am going to concentrate on 2D... I am obviously not meant to do 3D....