Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my second game, naalaa invader
The game starts on the title screen by pressing the return key to start, the "p" key to pause, the arrow keys to move the ship and the "z" key to shoot. You have to shoot the central square of the enemies to destroy them.

This comment is for Marcus, the game has an error that I have not been able to solve because I don't know what the error is, I have left you a screenshot with the error.
The game sometimes works well and other times the error occurs, it usually happens more times when you beat the game and start a second game again, although it can also happen in the first game and there are times when it doesn't happen and you can beat the game without let nothing happen.

Attached Files
.zip   invader-1.1.zip (Size: 486.67 KB / Downloads: 4)
Cool game... Challenging by being very accurate with shooting... I only came across the error on my first attempt... Yeah, I think Marcus is the one to help out there... Other than that, I managed to get through the game... much to my surprise! ... oh. No lives lost! Cool.

Nicely done!
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
I probably won't be able to look at the game until Saturday or Sunday, because I'll most likely be travelling. But I'll do my best to track down the runtime error then Smile
Traveling? Remember the four "takes". Take your time; Take care; Take it easy; Take me....

Have a great weekend!
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
(02-01-2024, 08:15 PM)Marcus Wrote: I probably won't be able to look at the game until Saturday or Sunday, because I'll most likely be travelling. But I'll do my best to track down the runtime error then Smile

You have looked at the code and found the error, I think it could be the indexof() function, it is a function of yours and I don't know how it works exactly, although it could be something else.
Cool! The only issue I have with this game is "limited" shooting. The time after you can shoot again is to long, IMO.
(02-09-2024, 01:07 PM)Tomaaz Wrote: Cool! The only issue I have with this game is "limited" shooting. The time after you can shoot again is to long, IMO.

I know, I did it to increase the difficulty but it didn't turn out very well. It's just a test game like others I'm trying to make, they are the first games I've made in my life and sometimes I don't really know what I'm doing.
(02-08-2024, 03:23 PM)aliensoldier Wrote:
(02-01-2024, 08:15 PM)Marcus Wrote: I probably won't be able to look at the game until Saturday or Sunday, because I'll most likely be travelling. But I'll do my best to track down the runtime error then Smile

You have looked at the code and found the error, I think it could be the indexof() function, it is a function of yours and I don't know how it works exactly, although it could be something else.

I haven't looked at the code, sorry, too much happening around me - family stuff. Maybe you're trying to find the index of an object that is no longer in the list? Where ever you're using 'indexof', look at what it returns:

Code:
obj = indexof(...)
if typeof(obj)
  ' the object is in the list, do what you want to do.
  ' ...
else
   ' don't do anything :)
endif
I have updated the game solving the error, it no longer crashes or at least the error has not appeared again for me.

The error has to be in the indexof() function, because upon eliminating it the error no longer returned.
It plays fine here, nice work! It's a bit hard to destroy the enemies, since you have to hit the center piece, very challenging Smile

Enemies made up from squares is kind of interesting. Imagine a shootemup, where small squares fly around and form different enemies, sometimes just a mess of swarming squares, sometimes connected into one huge enemy and so on. Would be fun to write, but probably such a game already exists.