NaaLaa
Wolf3D - Printable Version

+- NaaLaa (https://www.naalaa.com/forum)
+-- Forum: NaaLaa (https://www.naalaa.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: NaaLaa 7 Questions (https://www.naalaa.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Wolf3D (/thread-125.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Wolf3D - johnno56 - 04-23-2024

@Marcus,

If memory serves correctly, at one time, you stated that Wolf3D did not have an editor...  I have noticed that the command structure for Wolf3D is quite similar to that of N6's Raycaster. Is it at all possible that the RC editor may be modified for Wolf3D use? But, then again, what about using the Tilemap Editor? Even if it is to just create the a "map[]" file to be read by Wolf3D... Just a thought or two... (Ok... You can stop chuckling now... *sighh*)

I made a very crude "platformer" 'map' editor, using a language that shall not be named, but it is quite limited in what it can do... but, what it does do, is create a text file of the level map. I suppose, assuming I have the ability to do so, I could try to modify the output file to reflect the same structure "map = []" uses... Warning: This will be a "stretch" for me... I am not certain that I can properly convert the base program to N7... If I can, then I shall discuss the limitations in more detail... Please do not hold your breath whilst you wait.... lol

J

RE: Wolf3D - 1micha.elok - 04-24-2024

Welcome to the world of wolf3d !!!
Glad to hear that you mention wolf3d again ....

By the way, just sharing what I did in https://naalaa.com/forum/thread-114.html
1. The Maze 1 ( theme : zombie )
    I used notepad to create a map in zero and one 
    It's simple and fun.

2. The Maze 2 ( theme : mummy, work in progress ... I haven't set a dateline yet ... lol  )
    I used random maze algorithm and I don't use notepad anymore.
    Thanks to Johnno who provided me with the Maze Generator.
    It made my life even easier.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Wolf3D - Marcus - 04-24-2024

(04-23-2024, 10:04 PM)johnno56 Wrote: @Marcus,

If memory serves correctly, at one time, you stated that Wolf3D did not have an editor...  I have noticed that the command structure for Wolf3D is quite similar to that of N6's Raycaster. Is it at all possible that the RC editor may be modified for Wolf3D use? But, then again, what about using the Tilemap Editor? Even if it is to just create the a "map[]" file to be read by Wolf3D... Just a thought or two... (Ok... You can stop chuckling now... *sighh*)

I made a very crude "platformer" 'map' editor, using a language that shall not be named, but it is quite limited in what it can do... but, what it does do, is create a text file of the level map. I suppose, assuming I have the ability to do so, I could try to modify the output file to reflect the same structure "map = []" uses... Warning: This will be a "stretch" for me... I am not certain that I can properly convert the base program to N7... If I can, then I shall discuss the limitations in more detail... Please do not hold your breath whilst you wait.... lol

J

A quick reply, since I'm at work Smile

There's a function named LoadN6Map in wolf3d that you can use to load maps created with the n6 raycaster editor. I use it in the port of Robowack that I posted a while ago.

I'll port the original n6 raycaster examples to n7 to show you how it works as soon as I get the time (hopefully tonight). You could look at n7 robowack, but that's ... a lot of code.

RE: Wolf3D - johnno56 - 04-24-2024

"LoadN6map"? Cool... I will a try... Thank you. Will look forward to the examples....

RE: Wolf3D - Marcus - 04-24-2024

(04-24-2024, 09:24 AM)johnno56 Wrote: "LoadN6map"? Cool... I will a try... Thank you. Will look forward to the examples....

I ported the first 6 examples from n6 to n7, will do the rest tomorrow or later (now I've got to work some on my 3d thing).

I've commented out the Raycaster calls and put the "equivalent" wolf3d calls below them. I hope it makes sense. Most language differences I've just changed without commenting. The original examples are also in the zip.

Just ask if something is unclear Smile

Edit Fixed a wee error in one of the examples and added number 6.

RE: Wolf3D - johnno56 - 04-24-2024

Very cool indeed. I will certainly be examining the examples. By the way, they all run very smoothly. Excellent job!!

RE: Wolf3D - johnno56 - 04-25-2024

Using the "example1" file as template and whipping up a small section of the original Wolf3D game using N6's Raycaster (Sorry. Walls, floor and ceiling only... have not got to the "doors" example yet... lol). The original level 1 was 64x64 tiles. This is only the 15x14 "start" rooms... It is not much but it is a start...

.zip   map1part1.zip (Size: 124.97 KB / Downloads: 2)

J

RE: Wolf3D - 1micha.elok - 04-25-2024

(04-25-2024, 12:13 AM)johnno56 Wrote: This is only the 15x14 "start" rooms... 

click the image to zoom-in

It's a very good start !
You learnt so fast and you made the "start" rooms in just few minutes ... 
...while I am still scratching my head for ideas,
...typing some error codes... lol.... 
...and searching for bugs of my poor ancient mummies trapped in THE MAZE II ....

I saw a little poor prisoner inside on your "start" rooms  ... I wanted to release him .... did I need a key ? ....

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

It only "seems" fast. I have used N6's raycaster before and I know enough to throw a map together. I did not have to "create" the idea of the map. I have map images of all 6 levels of maps (60 in total).

Before I could make the map, all of the individual tiles, had to be extracted from the wolf3d sprite sheets then each tile added to the N6 raycaster. Then it was a matter of placing the tiles in the right place, according to the map image, then save the finished raycaster file for N7's wolf3d to import.

I do not have a pdf for the "How to use" the N6 raycaster... I am fumbling through based on what I can remember or not remember... lol  If there were instructions, I would have my doubts, as to whether or not they can be found. Marcus may be able to clear that up...

... and no. the prisoner's cell is pure decoration... Besides, even if the door was unlocked, where would he go? lol  Big Grin

just found this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5UgH_eB2jE

Warning: Marcus seems to be using N5 version of the Raycaster, the GUI layout is a little different, but the process is easy enough to work out for the N6 version.

In the video, Marcus uses his amazing skills by using Gimp, to create the tiles needed... You can, if you wish, download tiles of your choosing... but there is something to be said for the "hand made" look....

About 5 minutes into the video, after the map has been saved, the video then goes into the coding... That is as far as we go... Once the map is created we then go through the new N7 wolf3d examples for how t do the coding... Big Grin

Well... I have started on a complete layout (walls, floor and ceiling) of the first 64x64 tile map for Wolf3D... A slight snag... The N6 Raycaster, can be set to 64x64 tiles, but it will not display them on screen. Oh, they are all there, but the GUI will only show the top 16x16. There is no scrolling or resizing of the GUI. Saving the file does indeed show all 64x64 tiles... that means that if I want to have a map larger than 16x16 then I will have to edit the saved file and insert each tile number manually... That is a whopping 4,096 tiles !! Admittedly, not all tile position will contain a tile but, occupied or not, each tile position will be rendered... Oh my aching keyboard... Obviously I did not think this one through... lol Time to rethink...