Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
That 3d thing
I just thought I'd post an example of the current state of that 3d thing I'm working on. It's just an executable where you walk around in a level created with the editor. No source code or editor included this first time. There are still no "sub sectors", so a single sector always have the same floor and wall height. Next time I promise you more advanced rooms and some decoration meshes.

Walk with WASD and look around with the mouse. There is a settings menu where you can change some graphical things and mouse sensitivity (the menu pops up as soon as you start, and you can bring it up again with the escape key).

[Image: that_thing_editor.jpg]

[Image: that_thing.jpg]

Edit You will see that the walls "wiggle" when you walk along them at close range. That's an effect caused by lerping instead of doing fully perspective correct texture mapping. I may improve that the next time I update the S3D library. But that will have to wait until this engine is ready and I've made a game with it.

Attached Files
.zip   that_thing.zip (Size: 777.82 KB / Downloads: 5)
Download and executed... Unfortunately it spat out an error.

The requested file is actually within the folder...
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
(04-21-2024, 02:06 AM)johnno56 Wrote: Download and executed... Unfortunately it spat out an error.

The requested file is actually within the folder...

I hope this is a wine thing, hm. Alright, can you try running it from ned then? The source code is a complete unstructured mess right now, but don't worry about that - this thing will be ten times easier to use than wolf3d or tilemap when I'm done and have set up a library to hide everything away.

Attached Files
.zip   that_thing_2.zip (Size: 77.09 KB / Downloads: 7)
That 3d Thing

click the image to zoom in

It's very interesting after I have tried "That 3d Thing".
Compared to wolf3d, this s3d will offer much more possibilities such as :
- different height of floor, so it is possible to make stairs ( to upstairs and to downstairs )
- outside window, so you can see the world outside the window ( moving clouds, moving birds, mountains, trees etc )

Great job. Well done, Marcus
Well, I must say, that was impressive!! (To say the least)

I did notice the "wiggle" but I put that down to my failing eyesight... lol

How far are you planning to develop this procedure? Do you think that either Unity or Unreal should be getting a little nervous? Moo Ha Ha Ha....
There will be more interesting height differences the next time I post an update. The biggest difficulty isn't writing code to show the scene in 3d or do collision handling. The hardest part is actually to write the editor and make it easy to use.

Atleast you will be able to use a "sky box" to show some "outside"
Looks like some interesting times ahead... Time to "turn in" for the night. Catch you tomorrow.

J
The sub-sectors are now working. Sub-sectors are extra walls, floor and ceiling within a sector/room. You can jump, and the collision handling works alright - not perfect.

[Image: editor_4.jpg]

[Image: test_4.jpg]

Edit Dear lord, there's a bug! I forgot to add a limit for the angle when looking up/down, so you can actually spin around 180 degrees (flip upside down) and become very confused. Sorry.

Attached Files
.zip   that_thing_3.zip (Size: 878.67 KB / Downloads: 10)
Wow. Very nice. Consistent 200 fps... Spinning around and being confused? Didn't notice it... Must be 'normal' for 'me'.... lol
Just put a dragon and it's already a Dungeon and a Dragon game  Big Grin

I saw that using s3d, it's possible to have different floor and ceiling texture depending on the room's theme. For example : King's bedroom has red floor and red ceiling, Ballroom has golden floor and golden ceiling, Kitchen has green floor and green ceiling etc 

..... Back to wolf3d, is it possible to have that kind of different floor and ceiling texture depending on each theme ? How to do it if it's possible ?  (sorry it's an out-of-topic question) ... Big Grin