Author Topic: And Another Idea for a Project  (Read 2089 times)

B+

• View Profile
And Another Idea for a Project
« on: May 10, 2015 »
I have wanted to build my own editor. I did this once way back with Quick Basic and it was a fine project! It may not be the greatest editor in the world but you would have creative control over the thing and have it do whatever you can dream up for it. It was a piece of cake to do with VB but VB these days...???

Was it here, at Naalaaa, that I read the editor was build from the language? This is one fine editor!

B+
B+

Rick3137

• May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Programs
Re: And Another Idea for a Project
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015 »
 Good idea. Everyone needs their own personal editor.
 You could use the IUP library to do this. If that is too much you could alter the code of NED and make your own personal Ned Text Editor. There's a Ned source code download somewhere.

B+

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015 »
Good idea. Everyone needs their own personal editor.
 You could use the IUP library to do this. If that is too much you could alter the code of NED and make your own personal Ned Text Editor. There's a Ned source code download somewhere.

I have heard of IUP from others at Bpf but have no personal experience what it is about. #1 question is it one of those Linux things? (I only have Windows 7-64 laptop, though I have said to Johnno my next camera/watch/phone/computer/ipad/PA/AI/car/ship... might be with Linux? More likely Android or ?? who knows what the future holds ??)

The Ned Text Editor is nice one, I have only noticed one peculiar thing using it. When fast scrolling up or down the whole thing will skip/jump right back to place you were trying to leave or, more usually, back to the top of the code.

I was thinking of just starting small like maybe a line editor because that is the heart of editors anyway, one of them anyway. I have not tested this dialect's version of input but in sdlBasic, we had terrible trouble using inkey to replace that dialect's inputS function (in order to use our lovely text font in place of the ugly little default font that comes attached to inputS in that dialect. I mean you go through all the trouble to load special fonts to jazz your screen but are stuck with default stuff when you want to ask a question of user not easily answered with a mouse click.)

So if NaaLaa here is in same boat that would be good project/utility to develop before someone actually has an app that needs such function ie an editor. I should look into this because I think the circle thing is about as good as it gets until converted to asm.

B+
B+

johnno56

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015 »
If memory serves me correctly, and of late it has not, the Editor (NED) was written using Naalaa. Am I correct?

Personally, I think an Editor project, is a great idea. As I run with Linux Mint, finding a good editor that will run seamlessly and natively on Linux, is a task in itself. Don't get me wrong. The Editors available for Linux are great, but compared to Windows, I think the selection is few. I have absolutely no idea how to write an Editor, but I would like to learn...

J

B+

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015 »
Hi J,

The problem we were working on in sdlBasic, replacing Input with our own is the beginning. It all revolves around the inkey function! First you edit short little things then do fancy things with the whole line, Home, End, Ctrl left and right to navigate the line for edits. A program or text is just an array of lines until wordwrap. Editing a line is how GW Basic was started.

B+
B+

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015 »
As I run with Linux Mint, finding a good editor that will run seamlessly and natively on Linux, is a task in itself.

What's wrong with Geany?

johnno56

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015 »
Absolutely nothing. I use it quite a bit as an IDE for Lua, Python and FreeBasic (mind you, I am still trying to learn these languages...). I think Geany is a great Editor. But, I did say before, that compared to Windows my choices are few. Geany is at the top of my list of few. ;)

J

aurel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015 »
Geany....Geany....Geany ...  ::)    ...  got a gun   >:D
yes what is wrong with Geany..... C:-)
I understand John that on linux are just few good editors...
one of them is a Geany....is also included in SliTaz, but
there are editors like Vim or etc...
One of options on linux would be use scintilla api + GTK for a start or maybe FLTK
and create simple editor .
On Windws there are planty of great editors and components  O:-)

johnno56

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015 »
Aurel,

My skills, and I use the term 'skills' very loosely, are quite limited when it comes to creating applications and my knowledge of the utilities that you mentioned is even less. I have toyed with the idea of making applications in the past, but as usual, lack the courage to do so. I know there are a squillion tutorials out there, but spending a sizeable amount of time learning all that stuff, may exceed the amount of time I have left.

However, I will take a look at the applications that you have suggested, search for the necessary tutorials, and attempt to create at least something useful. Do not hold your breath waiting. I am a slow learner. Thank you for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

J

Tomaaz

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015 »
yes what is wrong with Geany..... C:-)

You don't have to repeat my question. If you disagree, just answer it.

Absolutely nothing. I use it quite a bit as an IDE for Lua, Python and FreeBasic (mind you, I am still trying to learn these languages...). I think Geany is a great Editor. But, I did say before, that compared to Windows my choices are few. Geany is at the top of my list of few.

Why do you care that much about it? If you are learning Lua, Python and FreeBASIC, Geany is an excellent (the only one?) choice. You have syntax highlighting, code folding and sidebar with variables and functions listed. What do you need more? Don't get me wrong, but I don't understand why someone who's learning to program is even thinking about writing his own editor? To complex for a beginner. But you can always ask our "editor expert" Aurel to write one for you. :) Just remember that it will look exactly the same like his other editors - ugly, extremely basic and limited, but with syntax highlighting for your language of choice (wow!). ;)

Peter

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015 »

Just remember that it will look exactly the same like his other editors - ugly, extremely basic and limited,

so cool !  ;D  ;D

johnno56

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015 »
hmmm....  maybe I will not do an editor. What would you suggest that I start with?

Note: In the past I have dabbled with Gambas, and the like, to create a simple GUI. Doing that was pretty much like using a graphics editor in the sense that you place objects on the screen, save it, done. As I am not a skilled programmer, I had absolutely no idea, how to interact with the gui. Some applications required a pre-existing knowledge of x, y, or z language. Some would create the code. I cannot remember which application did either. As a beginner, I found it overwhelming, and 'put it back on the shelf'.

I would appreciate some help in choosing a simple application that I can practice with. Being mindful, of course, that I use Linux Minx (relative of Ubuntu).  :-[

J

aurel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015 »
But you can always ask our "editor expert" Aurel.... :o
Tomaaz like Geany because he know how to write configuration file for
this great editor  :))

aurel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015 »
ugly, extremely basic and limited,
sorry tomek ...but this looks perfect for you because all your programs
presented all over the internet are
ugly, extremely basic and limited
 :)) :)) :))

Tomaaz

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015 »
Tomaaz like Geany because he know how to write configuration file for
this great editor  :))

Hmmm... I know how to create configuration files for others editors, but I don't necessary like them. Also, I liked Geany long before I learned how to create configuration files for it. It looks like you're wrong. Again. :)

sorry tomek ...but this looks perfect for you because all your programs
presented all over the internet are
ugly, extremely basic and limited
 :)) :)) :))

Have I written any serious programs? ??? Are they presented all over the internet? :o I remember writing simple scripts, examples etc., but they were never meant to be complex, beautiful or full of features. Aurel... What are you talking about? I wish I could write something like Geany, but I don't have time and skills to do it. :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015 by Tomaaz »